Thursday, May 9, 2013

Introductions

Hello and welcome to my blog!

My name is Ploy Srivali, a 2010 MIT alumnae who decided to go back to her alma mater after moving all of <1 mi away from it for 3 years!  You know, I'm not usually the one who likes staying in one place for too long, but if I have to, Boston, with its diversity in weather, people, and things to do is the best place for sure.  I love the small city feel with ease of going away to experience nature (in NH and Maine) or a trip faraway.

For the past 3 years, I've been working at Procter and Gamble Gillette in South Boston as a manufacturing process engineer.  It's definitely been an experience.  My claim to fame is I led a laser upgrade that changed the looks of Mach3 blades quite a bit if you look at them closely.  I can walk to a convenient store with you, pick up Mach3 products, and show you whether I did work on the machines that make the blades or not.  Pretty neat, huh?  I recently finished upgrades on all the Mach3 blade machines in the U.S., which means all of Mach3 blades assembled and sold in North America will have the looks as well. It's pretty cool to be leaving my mark, literally. The laser will be rolled out to other Mach3 producing countries around the world real soon, so it's like taking over the world in a small way :P  Overall, I'm very thankful for my experience at P&G Gillette; it's not often that a new hire will get to lead such a big project or work in an acquisition site (P&G acquired Gillette in 2006) on a business that was considered moving overseas. Those challenges are what made me so passionate about operations and confirmed my dream of being an LGO.

 Gillette sign at night

In my free time, I love challenging myself and trying new things with my friends.  This past year, running buddies Liz and Evelyn ran our first 10K and half marathon (Boston ones).  My yoga buddy Julia and I are doing our first triathlon at the end of the month in Cooperstown, NY where my parents live.  I sure hope I continue challenging my fitness while at MIT (Gillette has an AMAZING gym with all the fitness classes like TRX, cross training and spinning included, so I'm definitely going to miss that part a lot).  

Me being way too happy at my first half marathon (B.A.A. Oct 2012)


Anyway, this blog will be about my experience in the next 2 years.  I hope you enjoy reading and that you learn about LGO, life in Boston, etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment